[ARDF] Remote Start, Delayed Start, and PicCons...

Matthew Robbins aa9yh at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 30 17:34:15 CDT 2003

<<I don't understand why almost everyone tries to remote-start their PicCons
by
radio, considering all the possibilities for failure that way due to HT
problems, propagation, and programming errors.>>

Joe,

    First, thanks for the kind words.  I really had a good time, except for
when it was actually happening.

    My first choice was delayed-start.  I read your previous e-mail, and it
made sense to me.  At 12:30am I had all five 2m PicCons programmed for a 9
hour and 15 minutes delay (start at 9:45, giving me 15 minutes in case I
needed to go to one T and fix it).  (Bob Frey recommended just quickly
pushing the buttons, (1-to-5) to start.  The timing is off, but not by much.
  I also tried transmitting a 1 to start them, but one box had a problem
receiving it (probably a cable).  (Later, I swapped a DB9 style PicCon and
another HT into that box, and it could receive.))

   When I pushed all the buttons (SW1) quickly, starting the 9 hour 15
minute delay, three started and were blinking, but two did not blink.  About
an hour later, having tried a whole bunch of things, I swapped the HT, and
got them all to start using a transmitted "1".  At that point, I'm sure I
could've tried to reprogram for delayed-start, but it was working, and it
was late.  "If it's working---Don't touch it."

    I think you're right concerning HT problems and propagation, but not for
programming.  If you misprogram, the delayed start might not work.  I think
the absolute lowest risk method is to either (1) start them in the parking
lot and carry them into the field, or (2) carry them into the field and
start them on cycle before you leave.

    The big problem with this is that it allows cheating.  I really want to
be able to turn on the Ts after the equipment is impounded.  And honestly,
it sounds like there are plenty of PicCons out there working just fine.

    One thing I'd like to see is a reprogramming of the PicCon firmware.
I'd like the IARU (ARDF) mode to automatically set 5 Ts on a 5 minute cycle,
on the right minute.  Hold down SW1, Send D2, and it sets everything it
needs.  Maybe D23 would set MOI on a 3 minute cycle, where if the 3 were
missing, it would default to 5 minutes.  I would probably make the firmware
not overwrite the A4hhmm command, so delayed starts wouldn't be affected.
If someone wanted to clear a delayed start, they could reset (SW1 + 0) then
set IARU mode (SW1 + Dn), but... then you'd have to reset the callsign,
which is the single longest command, so...That's a bad idea.  How this: If
someone wanted to clear or set a delayed start, they'd have to send A4hhmm,
just like normal.

    I like Sam Smith's use of split HTs, except for remote starting, where
you'd need a bunch of transmissions.  I haven't used the DTMF lockout, but
that might be something to try, one code for each box, especially at a large
meet so random, unintentional, or intentional DTMF wouldn't affect the meet.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati, Ohio