[ARDF] fibreglass/kevlar yagis

Adam Scammell a.scammell at rocketmail.com
Sun Sep 21 19:52:29 CDT 2003

--- Jay Hennigan <jay at west.net> wrote:
> Aussies on the list, I'm asking!  How did your antennas work in
> Slovakia?

I've had 2 different fiberglass/kevlar antennas over the time.
I've replaced 1 boom (lightweight aluminium kindly damaged by a boy
scout) and 1 or 2 sets of elements.
Element replacement is required due to stresses placed on the boom
mounting section. There is a brass section ~4-5cm in length. This is
soldered to the braid at either end. After several years usage the
braid parts company with the solder, leaving an open.
Recently, we were able to re solder these. however in the past we
replaced them, as there wasn't too much braid left.

The only time I've ever broken elements was whilst learing to Ski. (Yes
once a year we have a SNOW DF. This is an ARDF or recently fox-or-ing
event held at one of the ski resorts.

As for Slovakia,
I can honestly say no damage was sustained by our equipment either
during transport (thanks Gyuri) or during the competition. (thanks Bob,
and others) :)

Regards,
Adam Scammell,
VK3YDF