[ARDF] fiberglass yagi elements

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 20 11:58:44 CDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 10:40:43AM -0400, Charlesscharlau at aol.com wrote:

> I am working on a different design: an antenna that uses three elements and
> spacing similar to the WB2HOL design, but instead of tape measure it will use
> fiberglass rods covered in coax braid, and then covered by a tough heat
> shrink tubing. This, I believe, is similar the design used by several
> members of the Australian ARDF team. I think the fiberglass + braid will
> prove to be even more durable than the steel tape measure, and will be
> less affected by wind (which often causes the tape measure to flutter).
>
> Right now I'm looking for a good source of thin fiberglass rod. I find lots
> of manufacturers on the web, but few distributors/retailers. Anyone know
> of any sources?

Max Gain Systems:
http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberg.htm

They sell a lot of fiberglass rod for building quads or for use as booms in
satellite arrays, etc.  They have stuff down to 5/64" diameter (solid) or
1/4" (hollow.)  The University of Texas Amateur Radio Club bought a 1.5"
solid rod from them for its satellite setupa little over a year ago, and
their service was fine, as I remember.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops