[ARDF] One difference between 2m and 80m courses...

Charlesscharlau at aol.com Charlesscharlau at aol.com
Sat Sep 20 11:40:43 CDT 2003

I've built maybe a dozen of the tape measure beams following WB2HOL's design.
See <http://home.att.net/%7Ejleggio/projects/rdf/rdf.htm>. Every one of them
has worked as advertised. They have an excellent F/B ratio, essentially no
side or back lobes, and are an all-around good ARDF antenna.

It isn't quite true that they are indestructible. For instance, at the Region
2 Championships in Ohio last month, the director element on my tape measure
beam cracked halfway through the 2m course. It wasn't a big deal, however,
because even a 2-element version (reflector + driven element) works well enough.

I am working on a different design: an antenna that uses three elements and
spacing similar to the WB2HOL design, but instead of tape measure it will use
fiberglass rods covered in coax braid, and then covered by a tough heat shrink
tubing. This, I believe, is similar the design used by several members of the
Australian ARDF team. I think the fiberglass + braid will prove to be even
more durable than the steel tape measure, and will be less affected by wind
(which often causes the tape measure to flutter).

Right now I'm looking for a good source of thin fiberglass rod. I find lots
of manufacturers on the web, but few distributors/retailers. Anyone know of any
sources?

Happy Hunting,
Charles
NZ0I