[ARDF] Hunter's Dry Box

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Sep 12 17:00:05 CDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

>      In my slow acquisition of stuff necessary to put on an ARDF meet,
> I've found a local source of 50cal ammo cans, which seem like they will
> probably work, although it might be a tight fit.

The .30 cal will hold a 7AH 12V battery and a reasonably sized transmitter
or 2M HT.

>      At a sporting goods store the other day, I saw something being
> sold as a "hunter's dry box."  Slightly larger than the 50cal ammo can,
> it is all plastic.  They are $6 each.
>
>      Is anyone using these or something like these for fox boxes?  Is
> there anything I should consider when choosing plastic vs. metal?

Shielding and security.  Some of the transmitter designs have oscillators
that run continuously and can be audible for some distance during the off
cycle (bad) or between CW elements (not as bad).  A metal box will help
to alleviate this problem.

The ammo cans are easily equipped with a U-bolt padlock hasp that can be
configured with a slot in the handle to secure the transmitter to something
with a chain or cable.  I haven't seen the plastic "dry box", but the ease
of securing an ammo can against both being opened and being carried off
has some appeal.

And they're really very nicely waterproofed and rugged.

On the other hand, a lighter, more compact design with alkaline batteries
instead of lead-acid might be more appealing for deployment.  Reducing the
size and weight of the T-box has merit, especially when you're lugging a
stand, punch, flag, lock and chain, and fishing pole antenna.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/