[ARDF] 80m oscillator keying

Kuon & Dale Hunt kuon at onlinemac.com
Mon Sep 1 21:35:27 CDT 2003

The comment came up on the effect of leaving the oscillator
running on the 80m transmitters.  I was running some other
tests using the Kanga OXO 1-watt transmitters I used in 1999,
and I could hear the oscillator from over 500m away.  Of course,
in a regular hunt you would have to be listening between the
other characters in the other transmitters (and the oscillators
from any other transmitters within 500m) but it certainly can
be tracked once you get close enough.

I use the PTT output on my controllers to turn on a PNP transistor
in the +12V lead to the 2m transmitters, and this same approach
would avoid the oscillator radiation problem on 80m.  (My newer
transmitters key the oscillator, so that isn't a problem.)

    -Dale WB6BYU

---