[usa2003ardf] parts

Sam Smith sam.smith at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 4 13:03:53 CST 2003

Here's another neat place for parts - like a hamfest venfor online - A
little hard to navigate through, no credit cards, no minimum order, but
he has almost everything you need to build or customize that dream ARDF
receiver:

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

I did the experiment with loop vs ferrite rod on my new DC 80 meter
receiver. I went to great pains to resonate both and got definite peaks
on both. At least in my hamshack the rod is "much" more sensitive.
(How's that for a definitive measurement?)

The loop was 8 turns primary and 2 turns secondary about 8 inches in
diameter inside 1/4" copper tubing, etc. The rod was 2 rods 1/2"
diameter x 4" long epoxied end to end with 16 turn primary and 2 turn
secondary. It took much less capacitance to resonate the loop - I guess
the loop has more stray capacitance. I did not try an unshielded loop
like Dale was using. My gut feeling is the unshielded loop would be more
sensitive than the shielded, with the rod more sensitive than either.

I haven't decided which to use yet. Sensitivity is not everything I
guess... Anyway I'm having fun, 7 months before the actual race...

Sam N4MAP