[ARDF] 2003 US ARDF Championships - Thoughts, Improvements, Etc. (long)

Sam Smith sam.smith at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 18 09:59:59 CDT 2003

Marvin Johnston wrote:
 > Marvin discusses bearings, map boards, exercise, etc.

I have been wanting to prepare a web page with my routes, etc. but
haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe this week? Anyway my technique
seems to be pretty different from what others are doing. I am not saying
you should do what I do - run your own race...

No map board - hold the map in the left hand with a left hand thumb
compass, just like I do when orienteering. Always keep it oriented to
magnetic north by folding it in my hand. Radio is in the right hand.

I never draw on the map. Well, never say never. At the start line I draw
the exclusion zones, then I put the pen in my pocket. I prefer to
remember where I think each control is.

I always know about where I am unless I really screw up.

How fast to go? If it's too easy you are not running fast enough. World
class orenteers maintain a steady pace - that's impossible for me. In
the past I have practiced by going fast - slow- stop - walk -fast - stop
- fast ,etc. In other words train by simulating an orienteering event.

I use my watch a lot. I know when my target transmitter is coming on and
how far I can go before then. I will turn the radio off or RF gain down
and concentrate on orienteering quickly during that off time.

I get outside the exclusion zones as quickly as possible, the start and
the ones around each control. Don't linger within 400 meters of your
last control - what good does that do? Unless you don't know where to go
next :-)

I think I averaged 15-18 min/km, maybe more? Are you using straight line
distance or running distance for your average min/km time? In
orienteering we use straight line, I can average 10 min/km on a good
day. My big problem was running right past the controls when they were
off, sometimes within feet of them. Visibility was not good in the
control locations - I don't think they were hidden, but at running speed
I ran by a few. My opinion is that if you get there you should see it,
especially since we have no description.

My order for both days was 5-4-3-2-1. I could have taken a few minutes
off day 1 and maybe 30 minutes off day 2 if I hadn't run by them, etc.

My opinion is everyone needs to start a physical training program
(myself included). Nothing that you do will improve your time more. Next
  find a local club and go orienteering. You can get better at thinking
when tired and physically spent by practicing it.

Sam N4MAP