[usa2003ardf] Transmitters

Matthew Robbins aa9yh at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 01:17:19 CDT 2003

Jerry,

    I was cutting the grass today thinking about your project.  That's
always a mistake, but...

    I wouldn't do this if it added any complexity to the controller, but...
If the microcontroller has a voltage A-D converter built-in, you should
consider having the box transmit its battery status (say its voltage) just
before the id.  The idea would be to give the event managers a way to know
the battery was failing.
   Another thought I had was to have a redundant battery system.  Say enough
for twenty minutes or an hour.  If the controller could recognize that the
primary battery had failed and the secondary battery was being used, it
would be able to send a code in the ID that would let people know the
secondary battery was being used so they could get out there and fix it
before it went off-the-air.

    I can't say either of these ideas is any good.  Where I work, we have to
be really careful of what we call "requirements creep".  You keep wanting to
add features that don't contribute to the primary function, and they end up
hurting reliability or making it cost more than it should.  You can debate
all day about whether "an improvement" is useless gold-plating or an extra
feature that will really help out.  Is it better to have two bad batteries,
or to have a single good battery?  Is it better to know the voltage status
of the battery, or just know the battery isn't going to fail because you
know it's a good battery?   So I'm recommending that you consider these, but
do what you think is best.

(My vote is for the voltage to be transmitted just before the ID.  That will
let the organizers know everything is okay, and will give them some warning
if there is a problem.)

Matthew
AA9YH