[usa2003ardf] 80m ARDF receiver kits

Kuon & Dale Hunt kuon at onlinemac.com
Mon Apr 28 23:06:53 CDT 2003

Just in time for the summer events, I have another 20+
kits available for my hand-held 80m ARDF receiver.

The receiver is VFO controlled with about a 100kHz tuning
range that is easily set to anywhere in the 80/75m band.
It is a direct conversion receiver with a 6" (15cm)
diameter air-core loop for the antenna, which is simple
to build but can take a beating in the bushes.  Current
draw is 10ma at 9V.

This board kit contains the circuit board and all the
 parts that mount on it.  The builder supplies a case,
headphone jack, two pots for RF gain and tuning, a
switch for the sense antenna, and some sort of on/off
switch.  Assembly and tune-up are relatively simple:
there is just one toroid core to wind.

This is the third batch of kits.  The first run sold
out in Georgia last year, and I have incorporated
the comments and corrections from those builders
into the updated instructions and drawings.  Most of
the second batch are going to Scout groups to build
interest in ARDF.  For this application a crystal
controlled receiver is handy, as it provides one
less control to confuse new users.  (Crystal controlled
versions of the kit are available, and VFO receivers
are easily converted to crystal control and back again.)

Price is US$20 per kit plus US$5 shipping per order.
Please contact me directly if you have any questions,
or to reserve your kits.

  Thanks, and Happy Hunting!

        - Dale WB6BYU     wb6byu at arrl.net