[usa2003ardf] results Sweetwater Creek 8/17 8/18

Sam Smith sam.smith at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 19 10:37:20 CDT 2002

We had a small but dedicated group show up in the heat this past
weekend. Saturday was the 2 meter, using one of the larger maps at
Sweetwater, and Sunday was the 80 meter, using the Lake map.

Saturday - 2 Meter
Charles Scharlau  4,2,1,5,3  112:00
Bob Frey          4,3,5,1,2  113:00
Dick Arnett       4,1,3,5,2  120:00
Nadia Mayeva      1,2,5,3,4  122:00
Guido Nordmann    4,2,1,3,5  146:00
Laurie Searle     2,1         75:00

Remarkable how close the times were. Guido and Laurie were novices.
Total distance was about 5K. Control #1 was the "decision" transmitter,
since it was inconvenient to go to. Picking the right time to go to #1
could save a lot of time/distance. Of course the winner, Charles, picked
the worst sequence, crisscrossing the map twice, so what do I know :-)

Sunday - 80 Meter
Nadia Mayeva         counter clockwise  66:15
Dick Arnett          clockwise          77:45
Bob Frey             counter clockwise  79:00
Charles Scharlau     counter clockwise /clockwise  110:00

Total distance was about 5K. This is a real runner's route, with plenty
of road/trail around the lake, although there are several areas that are
physically demanding, with creek crossings and steep hills. The key is
not to pass a transmitter, since there is a severe time penalty to go
back! Nadia showed her strength here. Charles had equipment problems,
and had to return to the start for repairs, then go out again.

There were about 100 orienteers also in the woods on Sunday for a
training event.

Good luck everyone in Slovakia!

Sam N4MAP